Sunday, April 24, 2011

Comments on a Video




God that's awful. It's sad that when your a female traveling alone how frequent these situations can come up. A few years a go I was studying in Costa Rica. I was young, 15, and even though I was in a group, one of the guys, older, maybe 20, tried to kiss me in the movie theater. It was honestly one of the most horrifying experiences of my life. It's absolutely ridiculous how some men objectify woman to be worth money. Stay safe.
JustJAINE


@JustJAINE Oh GOD. I hope you punched them, or someone elce did for you. Really horrid. Stay safe too! 
missxrojas


@missxrojas I've been sitting here thinking about this video, and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why I felt so bothered and angry about your story and of the objectification of woman. I, like you, consider my self "hardened" to the random cat-call, but I think what bothers me the most is how violated situations like those you described can make one feel as well as how often they are undermined. For a really long time after the almost kiss in the movie theatre I thought it was my fault, that I had lead this guy on. This was not helped by the fact that he stalked me and told me absolutely ridiculous statements that he thought I was older, how it was my fault, and that I was being rude for ignoring him. So, yeah, in my case I was emotionally violated as well as, in my opinion, legally stalked. And in some ways you were violated too. One guy licked your hand, that while mostly gross that is still invasive. And they other guy tried to pay you to have sex with him and then proceeded to verbally slap you. The fact that you had to sit there angry and I would venture afraid is so wrong. It's heartbreaking the bus driver still didn't want to let you on the bus. That just adds to my discontent. Some people just don't care and some find nothing wrong with what is going on or continue to blame outlaying factors. Maybe I'm over reacting, maybe not... I just find it so angering.
JustJAINE

No comments:

Post a Comment